Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
This is one of Rachael Ray's recipes. I made it for Thanksgiving this year and it was a big hit. It is very creamy and perfectly seasoned with just a hint of orange.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely choppped
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pulpy orange juice
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen butternut squash (puree)
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When butter has melted, add the onion and carrots and cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with the orange juice and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or a blender. Puree the mixture until smooth, then return to pot over medium heat.
- To mixture, add the frozen butternut squash puree and the chicken broth and stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Grate some fresh nutmeg and stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped thyme and orange zest.