Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From William Sonoma kitchen library. I love the light flavor of these muffins. You can choose to serve as is or top with the optional glaze I've included with the recipe. ***updated/correction*** 2/4/09 - Due to the reviews I realize I need to adjust the servings and the ingredient measurements for the glaze. ***
- 3 large oranges
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (additional, not a mistake)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (from oranges above)
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and butter or spray standard muffin tins.
- Finely grate the zest from the oranges (zest only the bright orange portion of the peel)- you will end up with approximately 1/4 c of zest.
- In a small saucepan, combine the zest, first 1/4 cup of sugar and the water; stir together over medium heat for about 2 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Add the butter and stir until melted, about 1 minute more.
- Set aside orange zest mixture.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the second 1/4 cup of sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk and reserved orange zest mixture until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended (do not overmix).
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for 3-5 minutes and then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- ****FOR GLAZE****.
- Combine all the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl and whisk together briskly until smooth and very well blended.
- If glaze is too stiff, beat in a few more drops of orange juice.
- Brush or spoon over the muffins while they are still a bit warm.
- You will end up with almost 1/2 cup of glaze which should be enough for the 18 muffins.
We just loved these muffins! It only made 12, so I halved the glaze and they were perfect. Thank you very much for sharing such a delicious muffin recipe.
They are delicious without the glaze. They are so moist. I made only 12 big muffins (in a 12 muffin pan). For the additional 1/4 cup of sugar I used only 1/8 cup. Thanks Hokies. Made for 123 hit wonders.
Really Good! I used half of the glaze and couldn't keep them long enough to have more than 1. Thanks!