Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A lovely recipe from the Barefoot Contessa that is good for breakfast, snack, or dessert! This recipe is Southern and Caribbean because of the oranges! If you like, you may skip the step allowing the yogurt to drain and just add the rest of the ingredients!
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup good honey (more or less to taste)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄3-1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 orange, sectioned
- orange zest (to garnish)
- raisins (to garnish) (optional)
- walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Line a sieve or colander with cheesecloth or paper towels and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow it to drain, refrigerated, for 3 hours or overnight.
- Place the thickened yogurt into a medium bowl and stir in the raisins, walnuts, vanilla, honey, and orange zest. Thin with orange juice until it is a desirable consistency.
- Garnish with sections of orange, orange zest, raisins, or walnuts and serve. Enjoy!
This has a really delicious orange flavour. I think the orange zest makes it! I used Balkan yogurt which is already thick but I found it thins too much when mixed so I would make this again by draining yogurt. I had to replace the walnuts with blanched slivered almonds but I know it would also be good with intended. I used a halal vanilla paste instead of the extract which is very high quality. I would make this again.
This was wonderful! I've been looking for some ways to use up the last of my plain yogurt, and I'm so glad I found this -- it was just what I needed! I, too, skipped the first step (was hungry and lazy, lol) and didn't add oj to thin it out, but will try it that way next time I make this. Thanks for posting, Sharon123!
I tweaked this a little so I could eat it straight away. I cut it down to serve one & used vanilla yoghurt so left out the vanilla essence & instead of orange juice, used orange extract, about 1/2 tsp for 1 serving, not crazy on walnuts so left these out & omitted the ornage also as this was made to go along with some fruit salad. The honey didn't mix in too well so next time will "Nuke" it a little to make it runny for easier mixing, that said this was a really nice blend of ingredients & excellent with my fruit salad for lunch. Made for ZWT III.