Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted in response to a request for acorn squash recipes.
Make and share this Orange Winter Squash Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Mix squash, 2 tablespoons butter, cream, salt and pepper and pour into a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Grate rind and squeeze juice from oranges.
- Combine rind, juice, cornstarch and brown sugar and heat over low heat until thickened.
- Stir 1/4 cup butter into orange mixture.
- Pour over squash.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
I used a butternut & from the large oranges got as much zest & juice as I possibly could ~ Made for a great squash-&-orange combo! It's definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
This was very good. I used a squash that was home grown on my parents farm -- a tiny little baby one since my husband doesn't like squash. I sclaed the recipe back and it turned out great. I never would have thought of putting the flavors of orange and squash together but it worked nicely. Thanks so much for posting!
This is a lovely way to serve squash. The flavor is so different - I really enjoyed the orange in this. It took a while for the sauce to thicken on low -after 10 minutes I eventually raised the heat to medium and just whisked constantly - it thickened right away. This went over very well with my family. Thanks.