Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is as pretty as it is easy. The sweet and sour salad dressing would be delicious on a variety of other salads as well. Paula Deen made this on Food Network and it looked so delicious I had to try it right away! This recipe is large enough for a big dinner party, but don't be afraid to rescale for a smaller group.
- 3 heads bibb lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, cleaned and torn into bite size pieces
- 3 oranges, peeled, sectioned, and seeded
- 3⁄4 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (I used pecan halves)
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated onions
- In large salad bowl, combine lettuce, spinach, oranges and onion.
- Melt butter and sauté walnuts until lightly browned (this will just take 2 or 3 minutes).
- Sprinkle over lettuce mixture.
- To make dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a jar, shake well and chill in refrigerator.
- Shake again before serving.
- Hint: To cut oranges so there is no membrane--cut peel and outer membrane off with paring knife.
- Cut orange in half across segments.
- Slip knife around and free each segment from membrane.
I made this tonight and came here to post it as it was soooo delicious -- and saw that you had already done so! This is indeed a fantastic salad. I scaled it in third because as is it serves 10 to 12. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe to add a few more walnuts! Dianne