Recipe by foodtvfan
Easy to make tasty orange cake starting with a yellow cake mix, and baked in a spring form pan for pretty presentation. From Family Circle Fast Meals Cookbook, a treasured 1972 cook book from my collection.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- orange strips (optional) or orange zest (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch spring form pan; flour lightly, tapping out excess flour, or use pan release recipe #78579.
- Combine cake mix, orange zest, orange juice and water in a large mixer bowl.
- Beat the batter according to package directions.
- Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen cake around edge with a knife; release spring, and carefully lift off side of pan.
- Place cake on a wire rack; cool completely.
- Remove cake from metal base; place on a serving plate.
- Blend sifted icing sugar and orange juice together. (Place sifter over mixing bowl.).
- Stir in 1 Tablespoon more orange juice, a little at a time, until glaze is thin enough to pour from a spoon.
- Spoon over top of cake, letting mixture drizzle down side. A slotted spoon is great for drizzling.
- Sprinkle thin orange peel strips, or grated orange zest, over top of cake for garnish (optional).