1 hr 15 mins
This is a cake that will be welcome all year round and it's as suited a Summer BBQ as it is to a Fall Harvest Dinner or the Dec Holidays. You'll find it to be welcomed by everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 grated large orange, zest of
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F
- 2Lightly butter and flour the inside of a 12-cup fluted tube pan, tapping out the excess flour.
- 3Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer at high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute.
- 5Add the sugar and beat until light in color and texture, about 2 minutes.
- 6One at a time, beat in the egg yolks, then the orange zest.
- 7Reduce the mixer speed to low and in three additions, beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the sour cream, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until the batter is smooth.
- 8Stir in the walnuts.
- 9In a grease-free, medium bowl, using the electric mixer with clean beaters, beat the egg whites just until stiff peaks form.
- 10Do not overbeat the whites, or they will look lumpy and watery.
- 11Using a rubber spatula, stir about one-fourth of the whites into the batter to lighten it.
- 12Pour the remaining whites on top and fold them in until they are incorporated. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 13Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 14Cool on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes.
- 16To make the glaze, whisk the Grand Marnier, confectioners' sugar and orange juice to dissolve the sugar.
- 17Brush about half of the glaze over the cake, letting it soak inches Invert the cake onto the cake rack, and place the cake rack over a cookie sheet.
- 18Brush the remaining glaze over the cake.
- 19Cool completely.
- 20(The cake can be prepared up to 1 week ahead, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and stored at room temperature.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Walnut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.0
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 101.9 mg
- Sodium 262.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of