Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Diabetic Cooking magazine. Exchanges 1 fat, 1 1/2 starch.
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, orange peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk 1/3 cup orange juice and oil in a small bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in walnuts. Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Whisk remaining 2 tbs orange juice and 1 tbs sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Brush over warm bread.