Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the best quick bread! The orange taste is so good!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease an 8in loaf pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in small bowl.
- In lg bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beat well.
- Add orange peel.
- Add flour mix and orange juice, alternately.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold egg whites and walnuts into batter.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until bread tests done.
- Mix orange juice and powdered sugar together.
- Spoon over the bread as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely.
Replacements: I used margarine instead of butter to keep it non-dairy, and Splenda instead of sugar. I used Recipe #241843 for the powdered sugar in the glaze. I omitted the orange zest because all I had were clementines and I didn't feel like grating those!! I made three mini loaves instead of one larger one... I took them out of the oven after about half an hour, spooned on the glaze, and then decided they needed more time in the oven so I put them back in, but it doesn't seem to have adversely affected the result. I made these as an anniversary gift, and they were very well received. Plus the house smelled wonderful and citrusy while they were baking! Thanks for posting.