Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These have a wonderful orange scent as they bake, and they taste just as good!
- 3 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange extract
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients on list above).
- In a small bowl slightly beat eggs& egg yolk together, and add to the dry ingredients along with the extract& the melted butter.
- Mix by hand with a wooden spoon or with hands.
- If dough is too stiff, add some juice from the zested orange.
- Turn dough out onto work surface; knead lightly and form into two logs.
- Place logs on lightly greased cookie sheet& flatten slightly.
- Brush logs with beaten egg white.
- Bake 30 minutes; let cool completely, then slice each log diagonally into 1" slices with serrated knife, using a sawing motion.
- Stand the slices on the cookie sheet and return to the oven.
- Bake an additional 7-10 minutes or until crisp.
Excellent recipe! I used orange juice instead of the butter (because I like my biscotti crispy and light) and I loved it .. thank you!
Excellent cookie. I did need to add the juice from the orange to get the dough to come together. I think the time needed for the second round of baking will vary based on how large thick the cookies are and how moist the dough is. Mine took an extra 10 min.