Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple tangy salad with crunchy,oily walnuts making it more of an indulgence, than a neccesary chore. The measurements are less than exact as I don't know how juicy your oranges will be and everyone likes their salad dressing their own way.
- 100 g watercress
- 25 g walnuts
- 100 g unsmoked streaky bacon
- 1 -2 orange
- 1 -2 tablespoon walnut oil
- balsamic vinegar
- chili flakes (optional)
- Peel the oranges and cut out the segments,catching the juice as you go. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon finely and start to fry in a pan (I don't use any oil as the fat from the bacon will run.).
- When the bacon is nearly cooked to your likeing, throw the walnuts in the pan.
- While they are browning off, divide the watercress into two bowls and place the orange segments on top.
- Add the chili flakes to the pan if using and tip the contents onto the salad leaves and oranges.
- Make the dressing by adding the walnut oil to the captured orange juice, adding the balsamic if you think neccesary. Whisk vigorously and season-remember bacon is pretty salty. Drizzle dressing over the salads.
Sometimes simple is best! This is a great recipe with amazing flavours - and a salad that we very much enjoyed! In the absence of English watercress, I used rocket - with the same peppery taste. Great! Made for PAC Spring 2009.