Recipe by ssej1078_1251510
This was from my grandma's recipe box..
Top Review by Susie D
This made a colorful salad and incorporated healthier ingredients. I'm very glad I tried it, but it wasn't jump over the moon for me. I really liked the dressing so think it was more my lack of love for the texture of brown rice. I reduced the rice to one cup, but left the dressing ingredients as listed. There was enough dressing to flavor everything and no excess in the bowl, so I don't know that I would reduce the amount next time. I liked how the orange really was the star of the show and the colorful presentation. Thank you for sharing the recipe! You were adopted~ Pick A Chef Spring 2012.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach leaves, packed
- 2 large oranges, Peeled, Segmented, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄3 cup slivered red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan combine rice and water.
- cook over high heat until mixture boils.
- reduce heat to low and cover and cook 45-60 mins or until rice has absorbed all liquid.
- Place in a bowl.
- Mean while, in a small bowl whisk the orange juice, oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, orange zest and salt.
- pour dressing over the hot cooked rice and mix well.
- cover and chill till cold.
- just before serving stir in the spinach leaves, oranges, and onions, into the rice mixture.