Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
these are delicate and buttery...with multi-layered orange flavor..you will need additional powdered sugar for sprinkling on bars.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter an 11x7 baking pan or 9" square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg until blended.
- Gradually add the orange juice until blended.(the mixture will look curdled).
- In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the grated orange zest and candied orange peel. Stir to coat.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stir to blend.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with a layer of sieved powdered sugar before cutting into bars.