Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Doesn't exactly taste like creamsicles, but similar--the vanilla does soften the bite of the orange somewhat in that direction. To drink in liqueur glasses or pour over ice cream, angelfood cake, etc. Makes a delightful gift. Be sure to use vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla flavoring; the same goes for the orange extract. Times listed do not include 2 weeks for the liqueur to sit and infuse.
- 2 large oranges
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup orange extract
- 1 pint vodka
- Pare the peel from each orange in a spiral, producing a 1-inch-wide strip; try to get mostly the orange zest and leave most of the white membrane on the fruit.
- Put the peels in a saucepan with the 1 cup water plus the corn syrups and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and let boil, stirring constantly, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the extracts.
- Let cool to room temperature and add the vodka.
- Pour into a jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid and let stand at least 2 weeks.
I am giving a no star review at this moment becuase this recipe needs to stand and mature for some time.. in fact the longer the better. I made a half recipe at the moment while I try this out and I must say that first impressions are good. The syrup mixture boiled up in no time and once cooled I had no problem getting the orange peel etc into the bottle. Now all I need to do is impatiently wait about a month to test the results. I will update my review then. Thanks! Update: Mine has been sitting for months and months becuase I simply got busy and forgot to come back to it .. it's truely an error for the better as it now has a wonderful deep orange-y taste to it. While a little would go a long way,and this will last me a while, I think I might even start a new bottle in the next months so that it can sit and mature for a looong time, becuase this is definiately a recipe that improves for every extra day that it infuses. The vodka acts as a preservative so it will keep happily until I finish it. Thanks!