Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead this needs to stay in the fridge for 6 hours.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
I actually made this for dinner for the boys because they wanted French Toast. I made a loaf of crusty french bread the day before and used it for this recipe. They loved the orange and said the french toast was "perfection"... The recipe halved easily. Thanks Kitz!
- 1 loaf French bread (10 ounce) or 1 loaf Italian bread, unsliced (10 ounce)
- 6 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- orange slice (to garnish)
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the bread 3/4-inch thick.
- Arrange in single layer in a well-greased 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, orange juice, whipping cream, orange rind, vanilla and salt to blend well.
- Pour over the bread slices in the pan, turning to coat well.
- Cover; refrigerate for about 6 hours.
- Grill or bake.
- To grill; melt the butter in a skillet or flat grill.
- Add the bread in batches; cook to brown on both sides.
- To bake: heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil, and grease.
- Put bread slices on the foil in a single layer; bake 13-15 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Garnish with orange slices and sprinkle with powdered sugar.