Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
A melt-in-your-mouth cookie from The Magnolia Bakery.
Make and share this Orange Vanilla Chip Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until smooth.
- Add in the egg and stir to mix.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat until blended.
- Add in the orange zest and vanilla chips; stir to combine.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to finishing cooling.
I added 1/2 teaspoon of Fiori di Sicilia from King Arthur to boost the orange flavor. These are too sweet for me but will make a nice addition to my Christmas Cookie Gift Bags and Boxes -- next time I will try them with try them with Semi or Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. Using a 1-1/2 inch cookie scoop, I made 33 cookies. They don't spread much at all so for the 2nd and 3rd batches, I pressed the mounds down slightly and got flatter, perfectly round cookies.
These are wonderful, scrumptious, delicious cookies! The only change I made was to use between 1/2 - 3/4 T of orange zest (since this was all I had on hand), but I liked this amount better as the flavor was subtle. The sweetness factor was perfect for us, so I wouldn't change anything else about the recipe. I made the cooked very small, so ended up with about 5 dozen cookies. Did I mention they were delicious??
These were good but really sweet. Next time I would cut the sugar maybe in half. I also didn't think they had much of an orange taste. I would add more orange zest next time like others did. The mixture is very dry but the cookies weren't dry. I made these into a bar cookie and we liked them.