An old recipe from Armour Star Lard out of my grandmom's recipe box. I have substituted shortening for the lard :)
- Cream shortening, sugar, vanilla and 2 tbl milk together until light and fluffy.
- Blend in egg yolk.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with remaining milk.
- Beat egg white until frothy and add 2 tbl sugar.
- Beat until a meringue in formed and fold into cake batter.
- Melt butter and combine with brown sugar in a 9 inch cake pan.
- Peel and section oranges, removing all membrane.
- Arrange over brown sugar mixture and pour batter over top.
- Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately, fruit side up.
- Serve hot or cold.