Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Lighter cake from Rose Reisman's recipe book Divine Indulgences
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 navel oranges
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 inch square pan with vegetable spray.
- In prepared pan, stir together brown sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Stir the mixture until it is well mixed (it will be stick and thick).
- Zest one orange.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut the rind and pith away from both oranges (including the one you zested).
- Slice oranges crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the slices in a single layer at the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, beat sugar, orange rind, yogurt, orange juice, oil, egg and egg whites.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the orange mixture until everything is just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake 30 minutes or until tester comes out dry.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate.