Recipe by Jen Wiehl
This came from Bon Appetite, June 2002 - yummy, healthy and great for summer!
Top Review by Carianne
Awesome. Ok, so I deviated quite a bit, but only out of necessity--the delicious salad I made wouldn't have gotten there without this recipe! I steamed the broccoli, then sauteed leeks and a red pepper. added salt and pepper and dried basil. Mixed all together and made the dressing per recipe. My seven year old friend could not get enough of it, especially with a little bit of cheddar cheese melted on top! Straight to the keeper file, and next time I'll prepare it as the recipe is stated!
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 large oranges
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender and put in a large bowl.
- Cut peel and white from oranges.
- Holding oranges over a small bowl, break apart into slices and then cut the slices into thirds- catching the juice in the bowl.
- Add orange pieces, tomatoes, basil and onions to the bowl with the broccoli.
- Add oil, vinegar and orange peel to the bowl with the orange juice; whisk until combined.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste and pour over broccoli; toss to coat.