We all know that unless you dress your tofu it can be pretty bland. This recipe does just that. The flavour of this dish is really awesome. I'm going to serve it over some Shiritaki noodles to keep it a low carb dish. This recipe makes quite a lot, but I often do this so my DH could take some of this to work for his lunch tomorrow. Please note, I included the time to press the tofu in with the prep. time.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu (I used organic)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped into cubes)
- 1 garlic clove (use a big one, or two small ones)
- 16 ounces mushrooms (I used white button and cremini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soup broth (I used low sodium veggie broth)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed and the zest from the whole orange too.)
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour (I used the white)
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano (I used all dry herbs in this recipe)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Press your tofu under a heavy weighted object for 20 minutes on one side and 15 on the other. Discard the water.
- Pressing the tofu will prevent it from being water logged and keep it together when its cooking.
- Put the soup broth, orange juice, orange zest, marsala wine and teryaki sauce in a measuring cup, mix it and taste it, if you like the taste, set aside.
- Dice your onion and crush the garlic. Saute this in a large saute pan until the onion is transparent and set aside. Be very careful not to burn the garlic, so don't cook this on high, medium is sufficient. When done, remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice up the mushrooms and sauted them in the same pan that you sauted the onion and garlic inches Add more oil if necessary. Cook them until they are just done. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut the tofu in half the long way, then in four pieces. You should end up with 8 equal sized pieces. Saute until these are light brown and then remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in the saute pan and make a roux with the spelt flour. Stir constantly so it won't burn. Once the flour is all incorporated, add your soup broth mixture slowly to this stirring to incorporate.
- Put all your ingredients back into the saute pan with the broth/roux mixture and gently mix so that all the tofu and mushrooms are coated with the sauce. Add your herbs and season with salt and pepper. Taste again to make sure its to your liking.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
- Bon Appetit!