Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very quick and easy snack or dessert. You may serve it with whipped cream cheese and grated orange rind on the top, but I prefer mine plain. This is a great finger food at parties!
- 1 loaf very thin pepperidge farm white bread (I have used Sourdough and wheat before, but white tastes the best) or 1 loaf other cocktail bread (I have used Sourdough and wheat before, but white tastes the best)
- 1 cup margarine (I prefer butter) or 1 cup butter, at room temperature (I prefer butter)
- 2 tablespoons dried orange peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (It is not as good if imitation is used and you can do this to taste)
- Lay bread slices (crusts on) on cookie sheets.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and spread on each bread slice and spread thick. There shouldn't be any left over.
- Cut each slice in 3 pieces (If you try to do two slices, it doesn't bake up as nice. I use my pizza cutter to slice these instead of a knife. Whatever is easier for you).
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Makes approximately 75 pieces. Let cool completely and store in an air tight container.
Very tasty and you will keep snacking on them!