Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can freeze this soup up to three months.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 7 cups diced pumpkin
- 6 1⁄4 cups boiling vegetable stock or 6 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 orange, rind finely grated and it juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic and pumpkin and cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the boiling vegetable or chicken stock, orange rind and juice, and 2 tablespoons of the thyme to the pan.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Place the mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and add the milk.
- Reheat the soup for 3-4 minutes, or until it is piping hot, but not boiling.
- Sprinkle with the remaining fresh thyme just before serving.
- Serve with lots of fresh crusty bread.