Recipe by Baby Kato
Ever tried an orange tea biscuit? No, why not? These are wonderful served with fried chicken. You will not believe how much you'll enjoy them. Also excellant with a cup of hot tea.
- 2 cups flour, white
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, white, fine
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon orange rind
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, cold
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 10 sugar cubes, white (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tarter, orange rind and orange peel, stirring well.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Mix buttermilk and orange juice together, stir to mix well and pour over flour mixture, combing quickly, dough will be soft.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times and pat into 1/2" or 3/4 " thickness.
- Cut the dough with a 3" cookie round.
- Brush biscuits with milk.
- Dip sugar cube in orange juice and press into top of biscuit.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet at 450 degrees.
- for 13 - 15 minutes.