Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
From Better Homes & Garden's 2004 Christmas Cookie Magazine
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 -8 orange slice candy, each cut into 4 pieces
- orange colored crystal sugar, for decoration
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line two large cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons 1 ½ inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Press one candy piece into each.
- With a knife or narrow spatula, swirl meringue over candy to cover.
- Sprinkle with orange sugar.
- Bake both sheets on separate racks in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely.
- To store: Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container.
- Store at room temp for up to 3 days.