1 hr 15 mins
From Better Homes & Garden's 2004 Christmas Cookie Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Allow egg whites to stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F Line two large cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper; set aside.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter.
- 4Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 5Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 6Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons 1 ½ inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- 7Press one candy piece into each.
- 8With a knife or narrow spatula, swirl meringue over candy to cover.
- 9Sprinkle with orange sugar.
- 10Bake both sheets on separate racks in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- 11Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
- 12Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely.
- 13To store: Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container.
- 14Store at room temp for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Surprise Meringues
Serving Size: 1 (5 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 14.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cream of tartar
orange slice candy