Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a delicious and easy to make cake, a favorite of my husband's throughout his childhood. It comes from his grandmother's kitchen and hopefully will continue being passed from generation to generation. It is a bright and cheerful taste for a cold winter's day.
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces self rising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 orange, juice and rind of
- 4 ounces butter
- Grease and lightly flour cake tin.
- Beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to mixture and stir.
- Add grated orange peel, sifted flour and salt.
- Stir lightly to mix.
- Pour into prepared cake tin.
- Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees F (150C) for around 40 minutes.
- (Use the juice from the orange to make the icing by mixing it with powdered sugar and butter.).
The recipe doesn't state what size of pan is needed. Based on the amount of batter it yielded, I thought a loaf pan would be suitable - I was right. This cake was fantastic ... it didn't last a day!