Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Excellent choice for gift giving. Your favorite nut can be substituted.
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 cups walnuts
- Sift confectioner's sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt into a medium size bowl; stir in orange rind.
- Beat egg whites and orange juice until slightly foamy; stir in walnuts; toss to coat well; drain thoroughly.
- Roll walnuts in sugar mixture, a third at a time, until evenly coated. Spread out on two parchment paper lined jelly-roll pans so the nuts do not touch.
- Bake at 250º for about 1 hour or until dry. Cool completely before storing in a tightly covered container.
- Walnuts may be stored for up to 1 month.
Great recipe! This was very easy to make and makes very delicious nuts. I used meringue powder instead of actual egg whites, which calls for 2 tsp of powder + 2 tbsp of water to recreate 1 egg white. Next time I will sub all the water with orange juice to increase the orange flavor.
I'm nuts for these nuts! Very easy to make and so yummy I couldn't stop eating them. I didn't have an orange so I used granulated dry orange peel. When I make these again I will be sure to use grated orange peel.