Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
Orange-flavored version of the traditional sugar cookie. Makes a crisp, flavorful treat.
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and granulated sugar for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, orange juice, orange peel, and orange extract.
- Beat in the flour mixture, a little at a time, until well-blended.
- Divide the dough into thirds, wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease baking sheets or use silpats.
- Place one-third of the dough on a lightly floured surface, leaving the remaining two-thirds in the refrigerator.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using floured cookie cutters, cut into shapes.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheets and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Bake for 11 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack for 2 minutes- Remove to the rack to cool completely.
- (If you want, before baking and after cutting out shapes, mix 1 egg white and 2 Tablespoons water, then brush each cookie with this mixture and sprinkle on colored sugar for holidays).