Recipe by Sharon123
A nice twist to the standard sugar cookie!
Top Review by eBeth
These are very nice cookies! I used fresh orange juice from the orange I got the grated rind from instead of the vanilla. I didn't use the whole 3 T of milk. This dough was wonderful to handle. I HATE making rolled cookies but these worked like a dream!!! Very tasty.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- green sugar crystals
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add egg, and beat.
- Add vanilla and orange rind; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, and mix well.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with a 3-inch cookie cutter, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Bake at 375* for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Yield: abut 5 dozen.