Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A nice twist to the standard sugar cookie!
Make and share this Orange Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add egg, and beat.
- Add vanilla and orange rind; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, and mix well.
- Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with a 3-inch cookie cutter, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Bake at 375* for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Yield: abut 5 dozen.
These are very nice cookies! I used fresh orange juice from the orange I got the grated rind from instead of the vanilla. I didn't use the whole 3 T of milk. This dough was wonderful to handle. I HATE making rolled cookies but these worked like a dream!!! Very tasty.
These were great! My husband loves sugar cookies, and I"m not usually a fan, but we both enjoyed these! I used butter instead of shortening, (thanks to justcallmetoni's for the Alton Brown suggestion!), doubled the amount of orange rind used and subbed fresh orange juice for the vanilla. The cookies had a delicious citrus taste and a light texture. Will definitely make them again!
Not a bad tasting cookie, but was disappointed in the yield. The recipe stated "about 5 dozen" using a 3" cookie cutter. I barely squeaked out 27 cookies!!! Perhaps if I make them again I will either double the recipe to get a higher yield or use a smaller cookie cutter. I substituted orange extract for the vanilla and found this gave the cookies more flavour.