1/1 Photo of Orange Street Inn Oatmeal Souffle
I first had this at a B & B in Los Alamos, New Mexico. They gave me the recipe, which is one of the late Marion Cunningham's classics from her Breakfast Book. The Orange Street Inn is no longer around, but the recipe lives on, and it's even delicious when cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml milk
- 29.58 ml butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- sugar, for coating pan
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant) or 177.44 ml old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 78.07 ml neufchatel cheese
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml brown sugar (I like a little less)
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml mace or 2.46 ml freshly-grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml raisins or 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts (optional) or 118.29 ml pecans (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or casserole, then cover the butter with a little sugar to coat it, like flouring a greased cake pan.
- 2Scald milk and the 2 tablespoons of butter by heating together in a small saucepan until just below boiling. Slowly add the oatmeal, stirring constantly and continue cooking until thick, stirring often. Remove from heat and then add Neufchatel, salt, sugar, and spices, stirring briskly until cheese is melted. Beat the 3 yolks slightly and add to oatmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- 3Beat egg whites until stiff but still moist. Fold into oatmeal mixture with a rubber spatula. DO NOT OVER-FOLD, fold only until no large lumps of whites remain.
- 4Spoon the mixture into the prepared souffle dish. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until mostly set but the center still trembles a little. Serve immediately with cream or warm milk.
- 5Variation: For a more savory Oatmeal Bacon Souffle, omit sugar after buttering dish. Omit spices, raisins, and nuts. Instead, add 1 cup crisp, crumbled bacon, 1 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard, and Tabasco to taste.
Browse Our Top Oatmeal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Street Inn Oatmeal Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 163.3 mg
- Sodium 289.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 37.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: