Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup is from Food and Drink Magazine. The wasabi cream gives a nice asian touch. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sake (or white wine)
- 5 cups chicken or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon wasabi
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Sauté onion in olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add squash and potatoes and sauté one minute more.
- Whisk together orange suice and sake.
- Add vegetables along with stock.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer uncovered until all vegetables are soft.
- Add pickled ginger and orange rind and purée.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- For cream: stir together cream and wasabi, drizzle over individual bowls of soup.
Big hit. did not use as much potatoes. added a little cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit. used vegetable stock instead of chix.
This is a good spicy soup!I suateed the onions and added all except Wasbi Cream to the slow cooker. I skipped the potatoes.My DH didn`t like it but he doesn`t know whats good for him!