Recipe by Derf
A healthy Veggie diabetic soup/stew with reduced fat coconut milk, spices and lots of taste!! (from Diabetic cooking) Diabetic exchanges = 3 starch, 2 fat.
Top Review by groovyrooby
I loved the lime + coconut combination in this recipe. The squash made the curry taste even richer. Next time I make this I will add even more jalapeno and maybe some chopped peanuts on top!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup orange squash or 1 cup sweet potatoes or 1 cup pumpkin, cubed
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped or 1⁄4 cup spinach
- spinach leaves, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add onion, pepper, ginger and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is translucent but does not brown.
- Add cumin and coriander while cooking, stirring, 1 minute or until spices are aromatic, taking care not to burn.
- Add water, soy sauce, squash and beans to pot, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is tender and water is nearly cooked away.
- Add coconut milk and heat through.
- Add lime juice and cilantro or spinach and stir to blend.
- Garnish with spinach or cilantro leaves.