Recipe by mollypaul
A light and citrus-y cake from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 5 eggs, separated (room temperature)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two 9" round cake pans with waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Beat yolks well; add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add orange juice; mix well.
- Sift flour and baking powder together; add to batter.
- When thoroughly mixed, fold in egg whites, pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 40 minutes.
- All cake to cool thoroughly before removing from pans.
- Peel waxed paper and assemble with frosting of your choice (orange frosting/filling is very nice).