Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a favorite from a very old Better Homes and Gardens book. I use it to make my Orange Icebox Cake (recipe 75433).
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 325º.
- Beat the egg yolks until very thick and light-colored.
- Add the orange peel and the juice and continue to beat until very thick.
- Beat in 1 cup of sugar and the salt.
- Gently fold in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until they reach the soft-peak stage.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 55 minutes, or till done.
- Invert pan to cool.
I topped this cake with an orange glaze and served it as my husband's birthday cake. It was absolutely perfect in every way. I loved the orange flavour. I will definitely keep this recipe!
We've made this go-to cake and its lemon variant for years (substitute 2 tsp lemon peel for 1 tbl orange and 1/4 c lemon juice and 1/4 c water for 1/2 c orange juice) for years. We drizzle chocolate ganache on the orange cake (yum!) and use lemon glaze for the lemon cake.gets rave reviews and is satisfyingly simple.
I made this sponge cake and topped with an orange glaze. It is light and delicious! Just becareful of the pan size, mine grew too big.