1/1 Photo of Orange Sponge Cake
1 hr 20 mins
Lovely light cake. From B H & G low cal (1989)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sifted powdered sugar, set aside.
- 2In small mixer bowl beat egg yolks with electric mixer on high speed about 6 minutes or till thick and lemon coloured.
- 3Gradually add remaining powdered sugar, beating constantly about 4 minutes.
- 4Stir in orange peel.
- 5Wash beaters thoroughly.
- 6In large mixer bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar till soft peaks form.
- 7Gently fold yolk mixture into whites.
- 8Sift flour mixture over egg mixture, 1/3 at a time and fold in gently.
- 9Turn into ungreased 9 inch tube pan.
- 10Bake in 325 degree oven about 55 minutes or till cake springs baack when lightly touched.
- 11Invert cake in pan, cool thoroughly.
- 12Remove from pan.
- 13With a long tined fork, poke holes in top of cake at 1 inch intervals.
- 14For syrup, in a saucepan combine orange juice and honey.
- 15Simmer 5 minutes.
- 16Remove from heat, stir in almond extract.
- 17Spoon syrup evenly over cake, a small amount at a time, allowing cake to absorb syrup.
- 18Chill, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.9
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 19.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g