Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely light cake. From B H & G low cal (1989)
Make and share this Orange Sponge Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange rind
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sifted powdered sugar, set aside.
- In small mixer bowl beat egg yolks with electric mixer on high speed about 6 minutes or till thick and lemon coloured.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar, beating constantly about 4 minutes.
- Stir in orange peel.
- Wash beaters thoroughly.
- In large mixer bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar till soft peaks form.
- Gently fold yolk mixture into whites.
- Sift flour mixture over egg mixture, 1/3 at a time and fold in gently.
- Turn into ungreased 9 inch tube pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven about 55 minutes or till cake springs baack when lightly touched.
- Invert cake in pan, cool thoroughly.
- Remove from pan.
- With a long tined fork, poke holes in top of cake at 1 inch intervals.
- For syrup, in a saucepan combine orange juice and honey.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in almond extract.
- Spoon syrup evenly over cake, a small amount at a time, allowing cake to absorb syrup.
- Chill, if desired.
This is a wonderful light textured cake with a lovely orange flavor! This would be sensational served with a citrus sorbet or sherbet on the side. Do not forget to top with the orange, honey and almond syrup, it makes this cake! I will be making this again in the future! Thanks so much, Derf, for another wonderful recipe : )