Recipe by swissms
Spiced cranberries top chilled orange slices for a sweet-tangy contrast in this colorful salad. From Bon Appetit, December 1997. I use pecans in place of walnuts.
Top Review by Batman's Chef
I made this for a churchwide Thanksgiving dinner. It was simple and the spices made it just right for the holiday season. The only change I made was we used the little cutie oranges and peeled them then pulled them into sections. Delicious! Hope to make it with slices next time.
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon generous ground ginger
- 1 cup walnut halves, and pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 8 oranges, peel and white pith removed, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, chilled
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix first 5 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add nuts; toss to coat well. Strain nuts, reserving liquid. Transfer nuts to baking sheet. Sprinkle nuts with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 17 minutes. Cool completely.
- Whisk 3/4 cup water, cranberry juice and reserved liquid from nuts in medium saucepan to blend. Stir in dried cranberries. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cranberries soften and liquid is reduced to thin syrup, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store nuts airtight at room temperature. Cover and chill cranberry mixture.)
- Arrange orange slices on platter. Spoon cranberry mixture over. Sprinkle nuts over. Garnish with mint, if desired.