Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple & fast to prepare. You may vary the spice & fruit combo to your liking. I originally got the basic recipe from Quick Cooking Magazine.
- 4 -6 pork chops, bone in (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, to taste
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat and brown pork chops briefly on both sides (maye 1-2 minutes per side); Do not overcook at this point or they will get tough!
- Pour oranges on top and sprinkle with cloves and some black pepper & salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until pork chops are cooked through (about 15 min for 4, 25-30 min for 6 ,approx).
- Cooking time will vary depending upon the size and meatiness of your chops- check early for doneness.
- Variation: You may substitute a different spice & fruit combo such as canned peach slices with allspice, apricots with nutmeg, pineapple with cloves.
- You may also substitute skinless boneless chicken breasts for the pork, but the cooking time may be less as chicken dries out quickly.
Very good pork chops! After browning the chops real good, I put the oranges on top and used 1/4 cup of the liquid off the oranges and mixed it with 1 T orange marmalade. Put that in top of the oranges and simmered for 20 minutes. Definitely one I will do again. Thanks Heather!