Prep 2 hrs 6 mins
Cook 15 mins
Traditional cut-out gingerbread cookies are spiced with grated orange peel for a subtle new taste sensation. Makes 4 dozen gingerbread cookies. Land-o-Lakes Cookbook.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup light molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- in large mixer bowl combine brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, molasses, egg and orange peel. beat at medium speed scraping bowl often until smooth and creamy.
- add remaining cookie ingredients, reduce speed to low. continue beating scraping bowl often until well mixed.
- cover refrigarate at least 2 hours.
- heat oven to 375*F.
- roll out dough 1/2 at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigarated), on well floured surface to 1/4inch thickness.
- cut into 3 to 4 cookie cutters.
- place 1inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
- bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched.
- cool completely.
- in small mixer bowl combine all frosting ingredients, beat at low speed, craping bowl often until fluffy.
- if desired color frosting with food coloring.
- decorate cookies with frosting.