Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Even traditionalists will love this version of pumpkin pie, which is accented with grated orange peel. Originally from a November 2001 issue of Bon Appetit.This recipe is written using Flaky Pie Crust Dough ,Flaky Pie Crust Dough but you probably could substitute your own favorite pie dough recipe..
- 425.24 g can pumpkin puree
- 236.59 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 295.73 ml heavy whipping cream
- 29.58 ml dark rum
- 29.58 ml finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml grated orange peel
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to a 10-inch round.
- Transfer to a 9-inch diameter pie dish.
- Fold overhang under and crimp edge decoratively.
- Pierce dough all over with fork.
- Freeze pie shell for 15 minutes.
- Line crust with foil and dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake until sides are set, about 12 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans or weights.
- Bake until crust begins to color, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer crust to rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Whisk pumpkin and brown sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until blended.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake pie until filling is set in center, about 1 hour, covering rim of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning, if necessary.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool 30 minutes.
- Chill uncovered until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled after the pie is cold.