Recipe by velorutionista
A delightful, surprising citrus flavor permeates these pancakes. Flax seed adds a little crunch, and the spices hint at a bit more depth than your average pancake!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (you can also just use all wheat flour with no problems)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Set a medium size cast iron skillet (or other heavy skillet) over medium high heat to preheat while you mix the batter.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour through flax). Stir with a whisk till all is evenly and thoroughly incorporated.
- Add orange juice to dry ingredients and stir gently till just mixed. A few lumps are okay, but be careful not to overmix.
- When the skillet is hot, spray lightly with olive oil (or butter flavored cooking spray if you prefer). Drop batter by 1/4-cupfulls into skillet. Pancakes will be rather thick and about 4 inches across.
- Let cook a few minutes, then flip gently and cook the other side a few more minutes, till bottom is golden and the centers are done.
- Remove to warm plate and tent with foil while you cook the remaining pancakes. Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup.