Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another recipe from my Foods class. Very good. If your kitchen is fairly cool you probably don't need to chill the dough. It just makes it easier to handle.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, the powdered sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs.
- Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, orange peel, cream of tartar, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, and salt.
- Beat at low speed until a soft dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while dough is chilling.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll balls in granulated sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookies sheets.
- (Optional) Flatten balls with bottom of drinking glass, wiping glass with damp cloth to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 1 minute before removing from cookies sheets.
- Cool completely before storing.