Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was posted at another site. After LorenLou's review, I tweaked the recipe and wanted to make an update with a stronger orange flavor.
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 cup mild molasses or 1⁄2 cup sorghum
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- whipped topping (optional)
- orange slice (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degreees.
- Spray a non-stick 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Combine organge juice, molasses/sorghum, orange zest, orange extract, oil and egg; add to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 16-20 minutes.
- Spoon marmalade over warm cake.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve garnished with whipped topping and orange slices.
This cake is orange heaven! I increased the sugar and all spices slightly just personal preference. Fresh OJ is a must for this cake! Paula this is a fantastic cake, thanks for posting!..Kitten:)
A very nice, flavorful cake - great with a nice cup of coffee. The orange and spice flavors were overpowered by the molasses though, and I would have enjoyed it more if those flavors had come through. The orange marmalade on top is a must, and was really the only hint of orange that I got from the cake.