Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
It seems like a lot of work, but it is really quite simple. The cake turns out very moist and tasty. It would make a fine breakfast bread. Bringing the key ingredients up to room temp really helps.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 light sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Bring butter, eggs & sour cream to room temperature. Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan or bundt pan.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on medium to high speed about 6 minutes total or till very light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and almond extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed for 1 minute after each; scrape bowl often. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beating on low speed just till combined. Gently fold in orange zest into the batter.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake in a 325F oven for 60-70 minutes or till cake tests done with a knife or toothpick. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
This is a great breakfast bread ... as it is not very sweet. I loved it right out of the oven because it was so light and fluffy. The next day it is a bit more dense. This was great for us as DH doesn't like it super sweet and I do - so I drizzled mine with a powdered sugar and orange juice mix. The orange flavor is very subtle.