Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I decided to make my own version of the orange coloured soup using an amalgamation of recipes. It is nice and sweet and yummy. And EASY! Eat as an appetizer or make a meal out of it by adding about 0.5 cup of red lentils (cook them first before you cook the vegetables) and serve with warm bread or buns.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 sweet potato (or two small ones)
- 2 carrots
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 1 mandarin orange
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme (about 3 fresh sprigs)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cube the squash and sweet potato. Chop the carrots. Put in a pot and add water to just cover the vegetables. Boil until vegetables are soft, then mash with a fork (do not drain the water).
- Add the yogurt and the broth. Squeeze the juice out of the mandarin and add. Stir well so that the solids mix with the liquids.
- Add spices, honey, salt and pepper.
- You're done! (Easy, right?).
With just 1 substitution, I made this recipe as written ~ I used a homemade vegetable broth for the chicken broth so that the soup would be suitable for my vegetarian son & DIL! Particularly liked the veggie combo here ~ Made for a great tasting soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]