Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My best sorbet recipe. Sweet, smooth, and very refreshing. This was one of the things my mother frequently asked me to make for her when she was in assisted living. It is the first to go at ice cream socials. Everyone loves it. I serve it with my Valentine Rich Rolled Cookies. I found this in the newspaper years ago and adapted it to suit my style. For the best dessert ever, serve it in the Chocolate Bowls. The flavors are wonderful when combined!
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan.
- Stir and cook over high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil without stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grate the zest and set aside.
- Squeeze Oranges into 4 cup glass measure (strain, or remove seeds).
- Stir in sugar syrup and zest.
- Add water to make 3 1/2 cups total, stirring well.
- Chill in refrigerator about one hour.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and proceed according to manufacturer's directions.
- May serve at once, or place in covered container until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Great recipe. My first sorbet, I'm eating some now. It's soo smooth. I added the juice of 1 lemon and a little lemon zest.
While easy to make and flavorful this recipe is way too sweet for my taste.
Made & reviewed for my PAC baby! Although we love sorbet in our house, I have never made it before now. I am so happy I chose this recipe as my first attempt - it is perfect! We don't have an ice cream maker so I did it by hand in a few stages in the freezer but it was worth it ;) We ate this in glasses topped with a little candied orange zest & I can't wait to make this in the summer. Thanks Barbara for another winning recipe :)