Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a sweet, spicy delicious meal! You could serve this over Dreamfield's pasta if you can afford the carbs or if you are not watching your carbs just serve it over rice or pasta.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, no skin
- 8 ounces diet orange soda (the tangerine soda is great too)
- 1 small onion, cut in fourths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 g) Splenda quick pack
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum (thickening, or other thickener)
- Place chicken breasts in a 3 quart or larger crock pot and top with onion and garlic.
- Mix cocoa powedr, chile powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and splenda together in a separate bowl and sprinkle over chicken/onion/garlic. Pour in orange soda. Cover and cook at LOW setting until chicken is very tender when pierced, 6 to 7 hours (although I have cooked it as long as 9 hours).
- Blend in xanthan gum or other thickener with a bit of water and stir into crockpot.
- Increase slow cooker heat setting to HIGH. Cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 more minutes). Season to taste with salt.
This was very bad. I followed the recipe exactly, but the chicken was so tough I couldn't finish it. The sauce and chicken was really bland.