Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
For a more intense orange flavor it's best to use only freshly squeezed orange juice for the glaze :)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco is good)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons orange extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch-inch baking pan.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar and the shortening with an electric mixer on medium or high speed until well mixed.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add in orange extract.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition JUST until combined.
- By hand stir in the orange peel, raisins and nuts.
- Transfer and spread the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Stir together 1/3 cup sugar and the orange juice; gradually pour over the baked cake.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, or cool completely.
Quick, easy and delicious! I cut the recipe in half and it was perfect for an 8x8 square pan. Topped with recipe #126165, yum:) Thanks Kittencal!
This cake is so fresh and delicious! I didn't have any raisins, so left those out. I topped with recipe #126165. This is a great cake, Kitten. Thanks so much for posting!