Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of the must have baking recipes I got from my mother when I left home. It’s one of our favourite non-chocolate squares. It can also be easily doubled or tripled.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- In a bowl cream margarine and sugar.
- Mix in egg yolks and orange rind.
- Mix in flour and baking powder alternately with orange juice.
- Spread in 9 x 9” pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl mix egg white and second amount of brown sugar.
- Pour over chocolate chips.
- Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
Made this for the Fall Pick a Chef tag game 2012. I don't make many desserts but this one was quite tasty. I added cashews and followed the rest of the ingredients. Gave some to the neighbor couple and they are ready for another plate. Thank you for posting.
I liked the taste, and I liked the look, and it wsn't too hard. I substituted cashews and raisins instead of chocolate; mine bubbled really hard, but I think that was just ,e. Otherwise a great tangy slice! Thanks!