1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
chef 29271's Note:
I love orange slice gumdrops, so when I saw this recipe I knew I was going to like it too. This is fruitcake to me (haha)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb orange slice candy, cut up (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (8 ounce) package pitted dates, cut up
- 1 (7 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 2 cups chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1Let butter and eggs come to room temperature.
- 2Combein gumdrops and 1/2 cup flour.
- 3Grease and flour 2 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- 4Lay a strip of parchment paper inside so it covers the two long sides and bottom.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In large bowl, beat butter with mixer 30 seconds or until softened.
- 7Gradually add sugar, beat until combined.
- 8Add eggs one at a time, beating after each and scraping the bowl frequently.
- 9Add the 3 cups flour and buttermilk alternately to egg mixture; beat after each addition.
- 10Fold in dates, coconut and nuts.
- 11Fold in gumdrops.
- 12Spread batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 13Bake at 300°F for about 1 hour and 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 14Meanwhile, make Orange Glaze by stirring together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth.
- 15Pour Orange Glaze over the hot cakes.
- 16Cool in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes.
- 17Remove from pans; remove parchment paper.
- 18Cool completely.
- 19Wrap each cake in plastic wrap.
- 20Store in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- 21Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Slice Gumdrop Cake
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.8
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 210.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 45.1 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange slice candy