Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A total kid pleaser. My best friend brings them to the office. Original source of recipe unknown.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (8 ounce) package candy orange slices
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, or pecans, or almonds)
- Chop nuts coarsely, set aside.
- Cut orange slices into small pieces using a wet scissors dipped in hot water.
- Set aside.
- Cream thoroughly the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Fold these ingredients by hand until reasonably mixed.
- Add oatmeal and Rice Krispies and mix.
- Do not over mix.
- Fold in orange slices and nuts at the same time, a few at a time.
- You can also cut a few extra pieces and scatter them on top by hand.
- Press in dough.
- Use thick cookie sheets greased with oil or shortening.
- Use a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop to shape a ball.
- Place 12 balls pressed down slightly in 350° for 14 minutes.
- These bake better if you only bake one sheet at a time.
- Let set one minute after they are out of oven and then slide onto cooling rack.
- The cookie sheet will have to be washed each time as the candy melts on sheets and would burn if left on sheet.
- If you can find orange jelly beans that are truly orange flavored, they may be used instead of orange slices.
These are in my opinion the best cookies ever! I change it a tiny bit but these are perfectly delicious if you follow the recipe exactly . I use only brown sugar instead of half white half brown and I add the rice krispies last because if it sits to long in the batter they soggie and makes a chewy cookie. I like a crisp cookie and by putting them in last it gives an extra crunch. Also if you dont like the orange slices these are delicious without , either way they are the best. Thanks so much for posting!
Working with the orange slices was somewhat of a pain, but the end product was worth it. Nice texture and flavor. As with the other reviewer, my kids still preferred plain oatmeal type cookies, but all agreed these are delicious too and a welcome cookie change.
I thought these might be too weird, but I would never know unless I tried them. And guess what? I really, really liked these cookies! I think they would make a great holiday cookie. I love the orange flavor and the crispy, chewy combination. Yum, yum! I would have to add that my kids liked these, but they weren't an absolute favorite like they were with the adults. I absolutely intend to make these again, and again, and again....