Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Like the original orange slice cookies, but with a few revisions for a lower calorie and lower fat recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 6 tablespoons egg whites (3 eggs, separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 (12 ounce) bag orange slice candy, sliced
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Combine chopped orange slices and 1/4 cup flour in a medium bowl, tossing to coat candy; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugars and apple sauce, beating well.
- Add egg whites, milk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine 2 cups flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in candy mixture, oats, and coconut.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly on baking sheet; remove to wire rack to cool completely.